Federal Courts have confirmed a woman’s Charter Right to wear a veil during her citizenship ceremony. The Harper government thinks that Zunera Ishaq should voluntarily sacrifice that right by removing her veil for the ceremony. But only for 30 seconds – just 30 seconds – that’s how long they say her sacrifice will take.
Since Harper thinks that sacrificing one’s rights is so easy and so quick, perhaps he’d like to make a few sacrifices for his fellow Canadians. Humans vs Harper has drawn up a list for him. They’ll only take 30 seconds each. We don’t care if he covers his face. (Actually, we’d prefer it.)
- Put the missing and murdered aboriginal women and girls on your radar for 30 seconds and call for a commission of inquiry.
- Re-open the nine regional veterans’ offices that you recently closed.
- Imagine you believe in climate change.
- Restore the national long-form census.
- Pretend for 30 seconds you actually like your fellow Canadians – all of them, not just the ones who voted for you.
- Stop telling lies for 30 seconds.
- Part your hair on the right.
Can you make these sacrifices for us Mr Harper? Just 30 seconds! Then you can go back to deception and hypocrisy.
Check out the CBC’s Baloney Meter on this issue: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/baloney-meter-is-niqab-ban-needed-to-prove-citizenship-applicant-s-id-1.2994562