In June of this year, the Harper government passed a law that allows the government to revoke Canadian citizenship from dual citizens who are convicted of terrorism, high treason, or other serious offences. Harper said recently he would add other crimes to the list.
We at HvH think that Harper overlooked some equally serious crimes that should be included in Bill C-24. Furthermore, we feel these crimes are so serious they should apply to all Canadians, not just dual citizens.
Finally, revoking someone’s citizenship is no job for a minister. We think an objective outsider should decide, someone like President Putin.
We ask you: Shouldn’t the perpetrators of the following heinous crimes have their citizenship revoked?
- People who steal elections by using robo calls like some high ranking Conservative party members, by devising in-and-out schemes (several party members, including Nigel Wright), and by making fraudulent expense claims, like Dean del Maestro.
- People who defraud Canadian taxpayers, like Minister Tony Clement did by using $50 million of taxpayers’ money to buy off his constituents, or like Duffy did by spending $90,000 of taxpayers’ money on his fundraising gigs for the Conservative party.
- People who lie to the Canadian people like Harper lied about the cover-up of the Duffy scandal, like he lied about the cost of the F-35s, and like he lied about the Afghan detainees.
- People who pretend that climate change doesn’t exist and lie about meeting Canada’s targets for greenhouse gas reductions, thereby imperilling the health of future generations of Canadians, just like Harper does.
- People who apologize to Indigenous Peoples and then cut their funding and refuse to call an inquiry of murdered and missing indigenous women and girls, again like Harper and his various ministers on this file.
We think they should all be deported. What do you think?
We realize there is an international law that prevents citizens from being deported to statelessness. Humans vs Harper has learned that the government of a small island in the Pacific will take them all. The only hitch is the island will soon disappear under the ocean due to global warming. We like the irony of that.